Seney's Career-High 21 Points Propel Lions to Overtime Win over Broncos

Malachi Seney (Philadelphia, Pa./Harford Community College) scored a career high 21 points as the Lincoln University men's basketball team earned their first road win of the season, taking down Fayetteville State University 75-72 in Overtime at the Capel Arena in Fayetteville, north Carolina on Thursday.

The Lions improve to 3-10 overall and 2-2 in central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) games.  The Broncos fall to 5-7 overall and 1-3 in league play.

Seney scored 14 of his 21 points in the second half and overtime periods, including seven in the overtime alone.  He connected on 11-13 free throws and made four field goals including a pair of three-pointers.  He also led the team with four assists. 

Three other Lincoln players joined Seney in double figures.  Cameron Campbell (Fayetteville, N.C./Trinity Christian Academy) had 15 points (5-11 FG, 5-7 FT) while Sean James (Newark, Del./Iona College) came off the bench to score 15 points (6-12 FG), 2-5 3FG).  Umar Saaba (Philadelphia, Pa./Boys Latin HS) added 10 points (4-8 FG, 2-4 FT).  James, Saaba and Tracey Nelson (Waldorf, Md./Maryland Eastern Shore) led the team with five rebounds apiece.

Josh Bryant and Michael Tyson had 13 points apiece for the Broncos.  Jyonte Raynor and Donte Reynolds added 11 and 10 points respectively.  Reynolds also added 12 rebounds.  Joshua Dawson led all players with nine assists.

The Lions went into the second half with a double digit lead and still led by ten , 39-29 when a 12-3 uprising by the Broncos turned momentum back in their favor and cut the Lions lead to one 42-41 midway through the half.   The lions pushed the lead back to six twice but each time the Broncos wouldn't break and came back, eventually tying the game with 30 seconds left on a Tyson tip-in.  A Lincoln turnover game the Broncos a chance to win in regulation but Tracey Nelson (Waldorf, Md./Maryland Eastern Shore) blocked the final shot attempt by the Broncos sending the game into overtime.

Tyson sank a jumper to start the overtime, giving the Broncos their first lead since late in the first half.  The lead was short-lived as the Lions started to dominate play, scoring ten straight points to take a 67-59 lead with 2:54 left.  Campbell started the run with a layup and James followed with a 3-ball.  Seney was fouled on the Lions' next possession and calmly sank three free throws.  Campbell completed the 10-0 spurt with a driving layup.  Thirty seconds later, Campbell added two free throws to push the lead to nine at 69-60.  The Broncos whittled the deficit down to four on their next two possessions and the lead oscillated between four and six points until Carl McCray's triple closed the gap to two at 74-42.  Seney made one of two from the line with five seconds left to seal the win.

A 12-0 Lincoln run at the end of the first half set the tone and raised the confidence level of the Lion players as they entered the second half.  Up to the time of the run, neither the Lions nor the Broncos wanted to take control in the first half which saw ten lead changed and five ties.  The largest lead by either team until through the first 17 minutes was three points. The 12-0 run gave the lions a lead they would relinquish for only about 30 seconds at the start of the overtime.

The Lions dominance on the free throw line (20-5) proved to be a decisive factor as the Broncos connected on six more field goals (30-24) than the Lions.  FSU held a slim 40-36 margin on the glass while the Lions committed two fewer turnovers (13-15). Both teams made seven three-point field goals.

Lincoln returns to action on Saturday, January 7, 2017 when they play St. Augustine's University in Raleigh, North Carolina.  Tipoff is set for 4:00 p.m